We got to Vancouver on August 15, and we tied up to the docks at Fisherman's Wharf for the weekend. We had people over for a couple of nights and got caught up on laundry and that sort of thing. Then, we moved over to anchor in False Creek.

So, while Steven has been in in Penticton, cheering his dad onto his 25th consecutive Ironman Canada finish, I've been hanging out at anchor in False Creek. My interest in Vancouver has always focussed on the people there, rather than the city itself, and this week has been no different.

For the first several days, it was rainy, cold and overcast. In fact, it was so overcast that I had to run the engine for power for the first time since installing the solar panels. Aside from the not wonderful weather, the whole process of anchoring in False Creek isn't exactly welcoming to visiting boaters. You are required to have a permit, which is admittedly very easy to get, and you can stay 14 out of 30 days in the summer. I understand that this is to cut down on the number of derelict liveaboards, and it may even be necessary, but it is a pain and not at all a friendly welcome to visitors.

There are a handful of designated dinghy docks, but they are only on the south side of False Creek. So, if you want to get downtown, you have to cross a bridge or, even more crazy, take a harbour ferry that may well pass right next to your own boat at anchor.

So, even though I can't say I'm impressed with Vancouver as a destination, I have been having a fabulous time. I have many friends who live here, and have been fortunate to be able to spend a great deal of time with some of them while I've been here.

Demian on Watch

One of my oldest friends, Demian Petryhyn, was able to stay with me for a week on board, and on the weekend we were joined by good friends Humberto Jijon and Ines Fernandez for a quick trip to Gambier Island.

Ines on Watch

The new crew took up their tasks with gusto and aplomb and I would be thrilled an delighted to sail with any of them again many times.

Humberto on Watch