We spent almost two months in Tonga, during which time we made a tour of the restaurants of Niafu, the main town in Vava’u. From north to south:
- Crowsnest – Open for breakfast and lunch. Best value for breakfast (T$12 including coffee). Great baked goods. Try the cinnamon muffins.
- Chinese restaurant – Great Chinese food. Best value for lunch and dinner. Lunch from T$6. We liked everything.
- Cafe Tropicana – Tastiest breakfast. Good food. Fastest and most reliable internet, if not cheap.
- Sunset Grill – Tasty burgers, well priced. Desert is quite good as well.
- Poolside – Darusha really liked their pasta.
- Mermaid – Surprisingly good burgers for a bar. Free wifi with good bandwidth because few people use it. Co-located with the yacht club.
- Balcony – The BBQ is good, but the rest is lack lustre. Probably the most expensive restaurant with prices around T$30.
- Giggling Whale – Moderately priced.
- Mango’s – Fancy decore and good food. Not as expensive as it looks, especially as the portions are generous. Their pizzas are good bargains as the large feeds two for T$20.
- Aquarium – Busy with cruisers using the free wifi. Bandwidth is poor, and the food is overpriced.
- Ovava – Easily the best pizza, maybe the best restaurant. Not inexpensive, but worth it.
I don’t think that it is possible to write reviews without hurting a few feelings. If I do offend any of the above, I hope that they find a way to use my comments constructively.